AnsweredAssumed Answered

Upon loading ArcGIS Pro 2.0, I get "Failed to Initialize Python Interpreter."

Question asked by eric.eagle on Jul 27, 2017
Latest reply on Jul 28, 2017 by Dan_Patterson

I made a comment on an existing topic, but I figured that it was probably better to ask this as its own question.

I installed ArcGIS Pro 2.0 yesterday.  When trying to launch the Python CLI, it states in angry red letters, "Failed to initialize Python Interpreter."

I am on Windows 7 x64.  ArcGIS Pro 2 was installed to:

C:\Users\[my username]\AppData\Local\ArcGIS\Pro

Prior to this, the Python that comes with ArcMap 10.5 was my system python.

I also do open-source GIS development on this workstation.  Here is what my environment variables (user) look like.  I've tried adding some things into the PYTHONPATH variable to see if I can't make it work - so this is for testing purposes only.

GDAL_DATA=C:\Python27\ArcGIS10.5\Lib\site-packages\osgeo\data\gdal

GDAL_DRIVER_PATH=C:\Python27\ArcGIS10.5\Lib\site-packages\osgeo

PATH=...C:\Users\[username]\AppData\..\Pro\bin\Python;..\..\Pro\bin\Python\Scripts;..\..\Pro\bin\Python\envs\arcgispro-py3;..\..\Pro\bin\Python\envs\arcgispro-py3\Scripts

PIP_CONFIG_FILE=C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Python\pip.conf

PYTHONPATH=..\..\Pro\bin\Python\envs\arcgispro-py3;..\..\Pro\bin\Python\envs\arcgispro-py3\Scripts

Obviously there are some path issues.  When I fire up a Windows CLI I do get into the arcgispro-py3 python instance, but I feel I'm "doing it wrong."

When I type in "conda" I get the errors:

File "conda\cli\main.py", line 222, in <module>

File "conda\cli\main.py", line 185, in pre

File "conda\base\context.py", line 274, in envs_dirs

File "conda\base\context.py", line 270, in root_writable

File "conda\gateways\disk\test.py", line 66, in prefix_is_writable

conda.CondaError: Unable to determine if prefix 'C:\ArcGISPro\bin\Python' is writable.

Since nothing is IN C:\ArcGISPro\bin\Python (that's not where ArcGIS Pro was installed), I removed the path.  Now it says,

conda.CondaError: Unable to determine if prefix 'C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Temp\1\[directory name changes each time]' is writable.  Failed to execute script main

So, the problem is twofold:

1. I cannot get at a Python CLI in the Pro interface.

2. I cannot 'conda' anything from CLI.

Any help appreciated!  Please no voodoo suggestions like "just uninstall everything and run a registry cleaner" because I am not an administrator on this workstation.

Outcomes