AnsweredAssumed Answered

Failure to access the DBMS server [[Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 11.0]Communication link failure] [sde.DEFAULT][STATE_ID = 251] Underlying DBMS error [HY000:[Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 11.0]Unspecified error occurred on SQL Server.

Question asked by EgbuleI on Jul 11, 2017
Latest reply on Jul 11, 2017 by George_Thompson-esristaff

I am getting this error when  trying to compress one of my geodatabases. I have about 5 different geodatabase schemas all existing in the same server MSSQL Server 2012 database on Windows 2012 Server, I  am able  to reconcile, post, compress and analyze all the other 4 geodatabases successfully without issues but each time I run both my model or script on this particular geodatabase I keep getting the error saying.

"Failure to access the DBMS server [[Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 11.0]Communication link failure] [sde.DEFAULT][STATE_ID = 251]
Underlying DBMS error [HY000:[Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 11.0]Unspecified error occurred on SQL Server. Connection may have been terminated by the server.] [sde.DEFAULT]"

I am able to reconcile and post new versions to the default version of this geodatabase  but cannot go beyond that, when it gets to the compression stage, it errors out and displays the error message above.

I came across some of the recommendations given on this forum and I have tried them all such as running a check on the database schema using the DBCC Check database tool and it ran successfully without error, which confirms the Geodatabase is OK and eliminates possible issue from that end.

I have also uninstalled my existing MSSQL Native client and replaced it with a new MSSQL Native Client version 11.3.6538.0 (64bit) and I'm still getting the same error.

Please does anyone have new ideas on what else I can do to resolve this issue.

Outcomes