How to calculate sum pixel value from raster file?

Jump to solution
06-26-2017 02:02 PM
RupsaBhowmick
New Contributor II

I have one raster file of aerosol data and one shape file with state boundaries. I need to calculate the sum of aerosol pixel values for each state. Please let me know how to calculate sum pixel value for each state? Also do I need to clip or join the raster and shapefile before calculating the pixel value? Regards,Rupsa

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

The states featuresclass should be used as "zone" raster or featureclass in the Zonal Statistics as Table—Help | ArcGIS Desktop tool. This will calculate the sum of the raster values for each zone (in this case for each state).

View solution in original post

3 Replies
XanderBakker

This can be achieved using the Zonal Statistics as Table—Help | ArcGIS Desktop . The tool will be able to perform statistics over a raster for each polygon and store the result in a table. Use the SUM option (or ALL is you want to have more detail).

RupsaBhowmick
New Contributor II

Thank you so much for the explanation. When I calculate the zonal statistics as table on my raster file, it gives me the sum of each pixel value. But I also need the sum of the pixel value of each states of a country. How to get that sum of pixel value of each state?

0 Kudos
XanderBakker

The states featuresclass should be used as "zone" raster or featureclass in the Zonal Statistics as Table—Help | ArcGIS Desktop tool. This will calculate the sum of the raster values for each zone (in this case for each state).