Custom Edit Tasks

11-18-2009 07:37 AM
AnthonyMikelson
New Contributor III
Can anyone tell me how I can use a custom edit task in the new Template editing environment?
0 Kudos
4 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Migrating your editing customizations to work with the new editor environment will be documented in the SDK for Beta 2 but  I�??ll give you a summary of how tasks will be handled.

Obviously edit tasks are hidden from the user in the new UI at 9.4, however, some of the new tools you see on the toolbar such as Reshape Feature and Cut Polygon are simply driving existing edit tasks that were shown in 9.3. You will be able to revert back to the classic editor experience (9.3) via an Advanced Arcmap setting but it is our goal that most users shouldn�??t need to do this and if you do, we�??d like to hear from you.

Ideally you will migrate your edit task code to a new tool that can be placed on a toolbar. All your really doing here is copying the code from IEditTask.OnFinishSketch to an equivalent event on a tool (IEditEvents.OnSketchFinished). We will provide a tool template to create an edit tool with all the code stubs.
If your edit task created new features you can create a construction tool. A construction tool is simply an edit tool (above) placed in a particular component category so it shows up in construction tool window for the appropriate geometry type.

Lastly, If you know your users (or just you) will be working with the classic editor environment then you may leave the edit task as is, so it will still appear in the edit task list. If you want the functionality to also be available in the new UI you can create an edit tool to drive the existing task. The OnFinishSketch code remains in the task but the tool will still need to set the edit task and drive the edit sketch via the shape constructors.
0 Kudos
TedCronin
MVP Honored Contributor
Can we just do customizations for editor tasks as part of the new add in capability, regardless of whether its new or classic editing, Sean.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
At the moment edit tasks and their tool equivalents have to be developed as components but we are looking at the add-in model, as its a lot easier to work with.
0 Kudos
TedCronin
MVP Honored Contributor
It certainly sounds a lot easier
0 Kudos