ArcMap crashes on startup

Jump to solution
06-18-2017 08:13 PM
EthanJackson
New Contributor II

I'm having a problem with ArcMap consistently crashing on startup, both existing and new MXDs. ArcCatalog opens without issue. ArcMap gives me a message saying "ArcMap has stopped working: A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."

I've tried many of the solutions provided to those who reported the same problem. I've gone as far as uninstalling both ArcMap and Python and reinstalling, at least twice now. I had the problem with 10.4, and now in the process of trying to fix this I have tried to upgrade to 10.5 but had the same result.

I'm not 100% sure because I went a few weeks without using ArcMap, but the problem may have coincided with a recent Windows update. I am running Windows 10.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
EthanJackson
New Contributor II

Problem solved. 

I spoke with Esri support. After a half hour of troubleshooting, it was determined that the problem was there were two display drivers running that were causing some kind of conflict. Under the Device Manager, Display Adapters, I had an Intel and NVIDIA driver running. We disabled NVIDIA and ArcMap and Google Earth started working fine. 

A subsequent Windows update re-enabled it and I had the same problem, with the same solution. This caused some other issues however. Just the other day I got some additional updates, including an NVIDIA update. Now I have both enabled and things are getting back to normal. 

Thanks everyone. 

View solution in original post

15 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Did you try Resetting your ArcGIS application profile‌?

If that doesn't work, check a few more solutions in Fixing ArcMap crashes‌.

Think Location
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Any reported startup errors in the last 30-60 days have been associated with

1  A failed windows update  https://community.esri.com/message/692311-re-student-version-of-arcgis-1031-installation-error-messa...

2 background geoprocessing was toggle on

So since you have tried a reinstall that should have taken care of the need to reset your application profile or do a repair.  So investigate those, then file a ticket with tech support to get it resolved.

PS.. a crash is a crash without an error message, was it failing to launch at all or properly with an error message (ie like error 1935 ? )

0 Kudos
EthanJackson
New Contributor II

Unfortunately it was failing without giving me an error number. It would crash during the "loading document" stage on the splash screen. 

It wasn't an issue with the user profile; prior to reinstalling I did try removing that. 

Last night I ended up backing up everything on my computer and did a complete reset; wiped the hard drive and started out with a fresh install of Windows. Installed ArcGIS 10.5 this evening and it seems to be working fine. Not something I would ordinarily do but while still very fast my computer is 4-5 years old and I thought it might do it some good to have a fresh start. 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Probably a good idea, patching an operating system overtop of an existing one is something I don't do and the flotsam that accumulates over time.  Hope things stay that way

0 Kudos
EthanJackson
New Contributor II

It must be a problem with the latest version of Windows 10? 

I tried it last night and ArcMap worked. I just closed it after opening once. Today I went to use it and I'm now getting the exact same behavior as before I wiped everything and started over. ArcMap crashes every single time on the 'Loading Document' phase. 

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Check if this workaround works!!! Problem: ArcMap crashes during Loading Document launch stage 

Think Location
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Wouldn't they have to go out of their way to install the latest version of the old python as a separate installation?  I would hope that would have been mentioned.  Perhaps further investigation of what was installed on the 'wiped' machine would be in order.  Installing a separate installation of Python 2.7.** prior to installing Arc* would have been worth noting up front.

0 Kudos
GaryChristensen
New Contributor III

Thanks Jayanta.  I had installed Anaconda (w/ Python 2.7.**), but once I uninstalled it ArcMap was happy once again.

EthanJackson
New Contributor II

I should add in case it makes a difference, I'm using a home-use license. 

0 Kudos