Autocad 2018 incompatible with with ArcGIS Desktop 10.5?

06-09-2017 09:19 AM
MandyCostley
New Contributor

Does anyone have any experience with Autocad 2018? The latest release doesn't seem to be compatible with ArcMap Desktop 10.5. I've tried running the CAD to GDB tool and adding the files in the table contents - both are coming up blank, when they would work fine with the previous Autocad 2017.  

I'm not very familiar with Autocad, but the drawing comes up with no issues in the cad environment. 

0 Kudos
17 Replies
KarenHodge
Esri Contributor

AutoCAD 2018 introduces a new file format.  It is not currently supported in ArcMap or Pro.  It is expected to be supported in a future release.

JustinConnerWR
Occasional Contributor II

Will 10.6.1 support AutoCAD 2018?

0 Kudos
GaryMartin1
New Contributor II

Ian,

I'm currently running Autocad 2018 with 10.3.1.  After a lot of experimentation, I have found that saving your drawings to an older version (2013) will allow you to add them normally without any problem.  Give it a try and let me know if it works for you.  I plan to upgrade to 10.5.1 soon. Good luck.

AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Thanks Gary. I believe this should work. Looking back at this thread:

https://community.esri.com/message/708866-re-nothing-in-attribute-table-for-dwg-layers?commentID=708... 

That was the solution there and it worked for him.

Also, here is an Idea‌ can be voted up for allowing support for AutoCAD 2018:

AutoCAD 2018 

GaryMartin1
New Contributor II

Adrian,

So you were able to insert your AutoCAD 2018 drawings into ArcGIS 10.5 this way?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

If you read Adrian's link... save it to an older version seems to be the way to go

AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Gary, 

To copy what Dan said, first save it down to an older version (not in the AutoCAD 2018 version). Then you can insert the drawings. Down the line there will be more compatibility. But for now, this is what needs to be done.

0 Kudos
GaryMartin1
New Contributor II

Updated to 10.5.1 with AutoCAD Civil 3D 2018 and it still works fine.

0 Kudos
CliffSkees
New Contributor

This is still an issue.  I just upgraded to 10.5.1 and 2018 this week and had this problem.  None of my .dwgs were created in 2018 but they all took its format once installed.  So now any dwg I want to drop in, I first must open and back save.  That's not efficient at all.

So will there be a patch for 10.5.1 ? Or for AutoCAD 2018 to fix this?  Or has there been since this post was originally posted in June?    

0 Kudos