Campus Place Locator on Portal

06-02-2017 06:11 AM
HlynurIngólfsson
New Contributor III

Hello.

Something seems to be off with my attempts to start using the Campus Place Locator, even when I go through the official guidelines from A to Z.

So I was wondering if anyone else has had these growing pains. I am using a Portal setup and I have tried both hosting the tiled layers and featureservices on Portal and also to post them to server and take them from there to Portal, with them being all very visible and nice in a map on Portal itself (the 'create map' stage being completed). 

But when I go to configuring and posting then something is very off the code reveals nothing but the pan in/out buttons.

Any idea what I might be doing wrong?

-With regards, Hlynur.

0 Kudos
17 Replies
MatthewBalog1
New Contributor

Hello,

I'm looking to install Portal and am interested in campus locator. Is there any documents guiding me how I would install or create the campus locator?

Thank you 

0 Kudos
AllisonMuise1
Occasional Contributor III

Matthew Balog‌ Instructions can be found here: Campus Place Locator | ArcGIS for Local Government 

It is unclear from hlynur.ingolfsson‌ , but from the documentation it appears that the services can be hosted in either ArcGIS Online or your portal/ArcGIS Server, but the map used in the application needs to be hosted in ArcGIS Online.

0 Kudos
CraigCarsley
Occasional Contributor II

I have not been able to get anything to load from index.html.

I get the following errors:

0 Kudos
PropertiesCurtin1
New Contributor

We were very interested in the Campus place locator. And, having an Esri consultant in with a day of spare time up his sleeve, asked him if he could help us set-up the campus place locator, He could not. We are now looking at developing a tool from scratch. I would be very interested to hear from anybody that could make the campus place locator work with their particular data and learn how they did it.

0 Kudos
HlynurIngólfsson
New Contributor III

Are you doing this with AGOL or Portal?

0 Kudos
AllisonMuise1

Could you provide more information about what issues you ran into, or what questions you had that that couldn't be answered?

0 Kudos
PropertiesCurtin1
New Contributor

We run ArcGIS Server, Portal, SQLServer and IIS on our own server. Our enterprise geodatabase is NOT based on the Local Government Information model / schema, but contains very similar types of information. Hence, adapting the Campus Place Locator to our data appeared not as easy as I hoped. However, the main feature that we want from the application is the building floor / level features. That is, we want to be able to search for a specific room and, once a single room is selected, have the application zoom to the relevant room and switch on the floor layout details for that building and floor level. Also, we would like to have buttons (or a dropdown list) that allow selection of the floor for which layout is to be displayed. I tried downloading the Campus Place Locator to our server and dig around in the code. It appears to be MVC based, but I am not exactly sure if it is based on a particular framework.

0 Kudos
AllisonMuise1

Hi Werner,

The app doesn't require the LGIM data model; you can configure which fields and layers contain each of the relevant pieces of information in the config.js file.

As stated above - The app does require the configured map the be hosted in AGOL. You can still use your Enterprise layers, but you'll need to add them to a map in AGOL and reference that map in the app configuration. 

If you are encountering specific error messages, please share them. As long as the only changes you are making are in the configuration file, this app is also fully supported by Esri Support Services. If you need in-depth troubleshooting help with the configuration and deployment, I suggest giving them a call.

-Allison

0 Kudos
JohnRitsko1
New Contributor III

I was getting the same thing as yourself.  Only the Pan In and out.  If you turn on the Developer Tools in say Chrome it would start working with no issues.  It's also temperamental working sometimes but not others when the developer tools are turned off.  I've managed to get it working but I'm having issues with labels for the fieldName:'SPACEID', label:'Room Number' not working.  So in the instance I just showed the Room Number label doesn't show up, only the  text 'SPACEID'.  I haven't published any of my layers to AGOL I've only setup a Map Service similar to ESRI's (http://services6.arcgis.com/Pu6Fai10JE2L2xUd/ArcGIS/rest/services/BuildingInterior/FeatureServer ).  I just need to figure out how to get the dang label to work and I'll be in better shape.  I'm curious if you hit F12 in chrome to turn on your Developer tools (or Ctrl-shift-i) if your would start working.  

ESRI: Why are my label not showing up?  I've tried using visible:true as well but no luck either.Popup without Label

0 Kudos