AnsweredAssumed Answered

how to set custom default values on new object in Edit widget

Question asked by David.Wendelken on Apr 6, 2017
Latest reply on Apr 27, 2017 by David.Wendelken

I know how to set default values in an ArcGIS service at design time.

However, I need to intervene in the creation of a geometric item at run time to dynamically decide what the default values should be.

For example:

User picks a template for a point-based service and clicks on the map to create the point. 
The widget decides where that point is and determines the latitude/longitude of the point.
The widget decides what the default attribute values should be for the new point based upon the service definition.

***At this point, I want to intercept the creation of the point and alter some of the default values ***

The widget displays the attribute values in an editor and the point on the map for the user to edit.

Ideally, I would like to intercept in such a way that if a different widget somehow created a point, the same intercept code would be invoked and the appropriate default values would be assigned at run time thru an event handler.

Failing the ability to hook into an event at the correct point in time, what routine would folks recommend implementing the code hook from?

Outcomes