Lines and Polygons

04-04-2017 12:01 PM
JimmieAustin
New Contributor II

Does survey123 have the capabilities to capture lines and polygons? Instead of just point features associated with the survey. 

Tags (2)
20 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Jimmie,

Currently Survey123 cannot collect the shapes of lines and polygons.  With the coming 2.0 version, it will be possible to update the attributes of these features.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi James,

In my organization we will conduct surveys on land use in a UNESCO heritage area, and we need to include lines and polygons in the survey. I understood this possibility should be included in 2.0 and I have seen very much forward to this.

Apparently this request hasn't been fulfilled yet. I only see the GeoPoint field type.

Is it correct?

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Karl,

You are correct- line and polygon support was not planned for the 2.0 release.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi James, thank you for answering.

Okay, then I misunderstood your answer to Jimmie.

Is polygons and lines (or even better: gps tracks) in any way in the pipeline for a near-future version, say in 2017?

I am about to choose which service to use for surveys (survey123, trailmarksys, and others). None are perfect considering feature types, identification, platforms, ease of use etc. - so I need to know future developments to choose which way to go.

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Karl,

Our current planning has support for polygons and lines occurring by the end of 2017 though we haven't refined the timeline better than that at the moment.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi James,

Thanks a lot for your answer. Sorry, I haven't replied earlier, but I have been offline.

Being a surveyor myself, I understand and appreciate the input from the comments of the Mike, Jimmie and Gary in connection to high accuracy mapping.

In this case, I work with common people, such as elders, school children, fishermen, hunters and more on an ipad or similar, so no high accuracy.

Still, they need to use points for e.g. a mapping hunting or tenting spot, lines for marking a trek trail, dog sled trail, routes for caribou migration or boat routes - and polygons for marking areas such as areas of importance to wildlife. None of this is very exact in any way so something you can draw with your finger on a Landsat-8 scale image is quite sufficient.

0 Kudos
GaryBowles1
Occasional Contributor III

Just out of curiosity, why would you want to collect line or polygon data using a phone or tablet? The data would be horribly imprecise. Have you looked at possibly using collector?

--gary

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Actually it would depend on how the Survey123 Team enables the ability to collect the lines and polygons. If they allow you to Average each vertex, then the accuracy could be very good.

It also depends on whether you are using a blue tooth or external GPS GNSS receiver to collect the locations of the vertex within the lines and polygons (like you do within Collector). If you are using something like EOS Arrow 100 or 200 GPS units in tandem with their EOS PRO Tools app, then you could gain a lot of accuracy depending on the environment you are working within and which unit you are using.

0 Kudos
GaryBowles1
Occasional Contributor III

You are right Mike. That's why Collector would seem to be the obvious choice. It may not have the same form capabilities that Survey123 does, but you can still collect all the data you need with it all the while using an external receiver such as an R10 to get accurate data. I dont see the need to reinvent the wheel with Survey123 and add line and polygon data collection.

--gary

0 Kudos