Deployed Web AppBuilder app gets 403 error for all widgets

Jump to solution
03-28-2017 11:12 AM
DavidWendelken
Occasional Contributor

I've installed Web AppBuilder and created an application using standard and custom widgets.  It runs just fine from Web AppBuilder Developer.

When I deploy the application to the web server on a different computer, the application displays the map and the data on the map, but NONE of the widgets show up.   Does not matter whether they are built-in widgets or custom widgets. 

All the https calls for the widgets return a 403 forbidden error.

Any idea?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DavidWendelken
Occasional Contributor

javascript - CacheBust in dojoConfig breaks paths - Stack Overflow 

I changed the CacheBust setting to false and the problem went away.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
DavidWendelken
Occasional Contributor

Additional info that might be relevant:

1) Stand-alone portal installation, not hooked to internet (and thus not hooked to ArcGIS.com or arcgisonline.com

2) Portal uses active directory single sign-on to connect to the portal.

3) sample call that fails with a 403:  myserverUrl/widgets/Search/?1234567890123manifest.json&wab_dv=2.3

I have a manifest.json file in the that directory, but not a 1234567890123manifest.json.

4) I've just noticed that a lot of entries in the config.json file have references to webappbuilder\app#\ directories.  I tried removing that portion of the directory path but no change in behavior was observed.

0 Kudos
JonLynch2
New Contributor II

I suspect you may be deploying under IIS since you are using active directory. If the web site you have deployed to has Windows authentication enabled make sure all users have read permissions on the widgets folders and files (perhaps enable anonymous access to test calling one of the widget files). 

Hope this helps

Jon

0 Kudos
DavidWendelken
Occasional Contributor

Changing permissions, etc, did not get rid of the 403 error.   I enabled directory browsing and the 403 error went away for calls like this:

myserverUrl/widgets/Search/?1234567890123manifest.json&wab_dv=2.3

Of course, that doesn't help because the above call didn't return the widget, it returned an html doc listing the files in the directory...

I've been running my application in WAB in edit mode on my development machine.  It works perfectly.
I realized I had never launched the application from WAB on my development machine, so I tried that.  It has the same problem - the widgets don't show up, and for the same reason.  (It's just that no IIS was involved to forbid directory browsing...)

However, an earlier, simpler map does launch correctly with the widgets showing.

I'm going to rebuild my application from scratch, and transfer in each custom widget one at a time until I figure out what's going on.

Any suggestions would be very welcome!

0 Kudos
KumarHarish
New Contributor III
0 Kudos
DavidWendelken
Occasional Contributor

After some more digging, I've opened up another thread as the problem may pre-date trying to deploy it:

Web AppBuilder "application" won't Launch in Web AppBuilder Tool 

0 Kudos
DavidWendelken
Occasional Contributor

javascript - CacheBust in dojoConfig breaks paths - Stack Overflow 

I changed the CacheBust setting to false and the problem went away.