Import Excel into ArcMap 10.2

03-13-2017 03:45 PM
PennySawyer1
New Contributor

I have an excel spreadsheet for office 2010 and i have version 10.2 of ArcMap. I have tried several file extensions as a 97-2003 excel file and csv. I can display the lat / long but the data is not aligning correctly with my other data. I clicked on the dbf and tried to create a feature class from x/y table. The x and y fields were empty. I went through the table and removed everything except oid , lat and long.  The csv file I can display x/ y when I created an x/y event shapefile i set the coordinate system but the layer still will not align correctly. I just need to know if i am using the correct excel file extension csv when i display the x/y in arcmap. Why this layer will not align correctly. 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AbdullahAnter
Occasional Contributor III

Do you attach E / W or N / S to Lat and Long fields?

Did you try to save the spreadsheet as text (tab delimited )?

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

show a portion of the spreadsheet.  messing with the coordinates won't make it any better. 

You have 'event' data and you have to bring it in as an XY data layer, save it to a featureclass or shapefile, define its existing coordinate system, then, and only then, can you begin to worry about whether it lines up with your other data... which is in what coordinate system?

The problems with data are too numerous to begin citing... show what you have so it can be 'fixed' if needed.  Simple things like forgetting a negative sign for longitude or latitude can cause a whole world of grief... not to mention putting your coordinates somewhere else on the planet.