Dynamic Title Changing With Selected Layer

03-13-2017 08:21 AM
DeltaProjectmanagement
New Contributor

I have searched on many forums, searched in videos and and the manual:

I work with data from birdcounts in different seasons. For each species in each season I have to make a different map with each a different title. As it is very slow to change the title everytime I want to let it change automatically. I have not worked with Python before (only really really basic) but I am open to all suggestions!

I have attached the data so you can have a look (it is a sample but it will explain it enough) And I also attached a map which shows how I want to get the title (Curlew Spring) and I would very much like it if the season and bird species change as I activate another part of the data. In ArcGIS I already made different selections with the different layer names. So the title would only have to copy these.

There is probably an easy solution, thank you so much already. I hope this is clear enough, please let me know if it isn't!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

I believe you can accomplish this with Data Driven Pages and Dynamic Text.  First, one would set up the Data Driven pages, then once that is set one would use Dynamic Text to label the Specie and Season by drawing on an attribute field.

ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2) - Data Drive Pages

ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)  - Using Dynamic Text with Data Drive Pages

Also, one could consider doing this as a Map Book.

ArcGIS Help 10.2 - Building map books with ArcGIS 

Chris Donohue, GISP

0 Kudos