Error: The layer {layer name} cannot be added to the map

03-10-2017 01:12 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

After publishing my web app, the web map does not load.  I am using an mix of AGOL and Arc Server.  If I open the web app on my computer I can see everything, however on any other computer it errors.  I have the service shared to my organization and public.

Essentially, the web map was published to server from desktop, then used in the web app.  

I have two suspicions, the first is, I have server installed on my desktop and the data is actually not being served out, hence I can access it but nobody else can... The next is, the geodatabase that the data is coming from isn't registered to the server.  Perhaps these both are hand in hand....  

Any help is appreciated.  

Running ArcMap 10.5

up to date arc server

AGOL w/ subscription.

Also, can someone provide where I download the web adapter for arc server?  

Thanks! 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Looks like the ArcGIS Server REST URL doesn't have access to public (Public IP would be required, if you want to share these services through internet). Else, you could also map the GIS Server with a web server (should have Public IP) using Web Adaptor.

If the above scenarios are not possible, you will need to publish your map/feature services directly to AGOL, which can then be accessed from anywhere since they will be stored in Esri cloud.

* Web Adaptor for ArcGIS can be downloaded from My Esri account of your organization, if your organization is under warranty/maintenance. Else, contact your local Esri Distributor for the same.

Think Location
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply!  I configured the web adapter and registered the GDB with the server.  Still no luck...  

I am providing the link for you, perhaps you could give me an additional tip based on what you see.

ArcGIS Web Application 

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Dylan,

The URL of the map service is pointing to localhost. That is why it is only visible in the machine that is hosting the ArcGIS Server. Just configuring the GIS Server with web adaptor won't help until your web server (that is mapped to GIS Server) has Public IP address (Also called "Static IP"). A Public IP Address is an IP that can be accessed over internet.

You might like to contact your IT person regarding configuring your web server with Public IP Address (Not Free).

You are able to see basemap and other content because they are hosted over ArcGIS Online.

How do I access my website (IIS) from the internet? - Stack Overflow 

Think Location
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you!  You confirmed my suspicions.... I kind of knew this based on the "localhost" and the port being used.

This is helpful because I have mentioned the GIS server config to staff already.

Server is the only way to actually host a GDB correct?  

0 Kudos