Apply Symbology from Layer doesn't work when based on field

02-06-2017 11:34 AM
KyleGallagher
New Contributor III

I am trying to run a model with the Apply Symbology from Layer tool against multiple feature classes, some using a simple symbol and others based on a field. The tool works when there is only a simple symbol. When symbology is based on a field the output never comes out correct.  Things I've checked for:

• The Make Feature Layer tool is being used prior to running the Apply Symbology tool.
  • The field names match in the feature class and the layer file being used for symbology.
  • The output feature class will show up in the TOC with empty symbology. Looking at its symbology properties, it is set to the matched field name but the symbology does not have any values.

Any thoughts on a resolution? This is a process that will be repeated several times and we would like to avoid manually setting the symbology for each feature class.

Thanks!

Kyle

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
AbdullahAnter
Occasional Contributor III

Pictures for your model and your experiments will be helpful.

0 Kudos
KyleGallagher
New Contributor III

Here is a picture of the model. 

0 Kudos
AbdullahAnter

Do you try this model as a tool ?  ( from Arc Toolbox)

0 Kudos
KyleGallagher
New Contributor III

Yes. Same results.

0 Kudos
AbdullahAnter

I am no wonder that model not change symbol of feature class in classified depend on field.

but I am wonder that is change simple symbol!!

How it is done? 

because to change layer symbology, you should add that layer in TOC and run tool not inside model. 

0 Kudos