How do I load a layer into GIS ONLINE

02-03-2017 09:41 AM
CaroleWacta
Occasional Contributor

I have a layer and I have been unsuccesful at importing my a layer into GIS online. Is there a way to import a layer into a GIS online? Or do I need to convert it into a shape file? If so, how do I do so?

thank you

0 Kudos
4 Replies
FC_Basson
MVP Regular Contributor

You can use the Feature Class to Shapefile tool in the Conversion Tools->To Shapefile toolbox to create a shapefile from a layer.  Then you must zip the shapefile and in the AGOL map select the Add Layer From File option to upload the zipped shapefile.  The process is also described here: Publish hosted feature layers—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS  Remember that you will be limited to 1000 features (Shapefiles—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS ).

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

If you add the shapefile to the My Content page and publish a hosted feature service to it you will not be limited to 1,000 features. The 1,000 feature only applies when adding the zipped shapefile directly into the web map viewer.

0 Kudos
SimonCrutchley
Occasional Contributor III

I would do this, but when I go to the Add an item box I don't have the Publish this file as a hosted layer check box .

Any idea why this might be?

0 Kudos
AdamBlough3
New Contributor II

The best way to control all the aspects of your data going up to ArcGIS online would be to publish out from Arc Desktop from a shapefile. You can publish it out to your organization or connect servers

0 Kudos