Cascading Story Map - loading icon map

01-11-2017 03:23 AM
WijmkeBrouwer
New Contributor II

Hello!

I am building an Cascading Story Map. I have to say that it is a great new template, thanks for adding it!

But I have got one problem.

I added a map in an immersive section. This map takes a little time to load. That, in itself isn't the problem.

The problem is that the 'Loading' icon disappears after the basemap is fully loaded. At this point the other layers take another +/- 4 seconds to load and aren't visible yet.
The users will get the impression that there isn't anything special to see in the map. Probably resulting in them scrolling further down.

Is there a way to fix this or can you fix this?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Wijmke,

I'm glad you are enjoying the Story Map Cascade app, and thanks for taking the time to provide feedback.

We'll take a look at providing a better loading indicator for map layers in a future release. Until then you can try to reduce the time it takes your map layers to load by generalizing them (if they are complex polygons or lines) or creating tiles. You can learn more about these techniques in the ArcGIS Online help.

Owen

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos
WijmkeBrouwer
New Contributor II

Hello Owen,

Thank you for your fast reply! Generalizing or tiling will not always be an option, e.g. in this case I use a dataset from ESRI_NL_content. 

So I really look forward to a future solution. Do you maybe have another work-around or solution?

Wijmke

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Wijmke -- you could try revealing the layers in your map in subsequent views rather than have them all visible in the first view.  Check out this tutorial to see how to use this technique.

Owen

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
WijmkeBrouwer
New Contributor II

Thanks for the suggestion.. 

My personal favorit is the 'Hamster zombie outbreak' example John Nelson made

0 Kudos