AnsweredAssumed Answered

Simple Graphic doesn't display on map

Question asked by LiveNacra on Dec 9, 2016
Latest reply on Dec 13, 2016 by LiveNacra

I'm using ArcGIS for Android SDK 10.2.8 and trying to place a simple graphic based on current GPS coordinates obtained through Android's location services. I followed the basic guide here:

Add graphics and text—ArcGIS Runtime SDK for Android | ArcGIS for Developers 

I am using ESRI's topo basemap. The map loads as expected and initially centers on the GPS coordinates provided. On pressing a provided button, the map should draw a SimpleMarkerSymbol at the coordinates and re-center the map on the coordinates, if the map has been moved. What actually happens when I press the button is the map will re-center on the coordinates but no graphic appears.

To do a little testing, I tried also displaying a toast with the graphic layer UID. It returns a number, leading me to believe the graphic layer is correctly created....but still no graphic appears on the map. Is there something I am missing in my code? My code for the button is below:

public void setPoint(View view) {
    Button clickedButton = (Button) view;

if (clickedButton == findViewById(R.id.add_point)) {
        mMapView = (MapView) findViewById(R.id.map);
        SpatialReference webSR = SpatialReference.create(3857);
        Point gps_mercator = GeometryEngine.project(latitude, longitude, webSR);
        GraphicsLayer gl = new GraphicsLayer();
        SimpleMarkerSymbol simpleMarker = new SimpleMarkerSymbol(Color.RED, 5, SimpleMarkerSymbol.STYLE.CIRCLE);
        Graphic pointGraphic = new Graphic(gps_mercator, simpleMarker);
        gl.addGraphic(pointGraphic);
        mMapView.addLayer(gl);
        mMapView.centerAt(latitude, longitude, true);
    }
}

Outcomes