How to access and/or query ArcGIS DataStore tables/data from third party Reporting Software (CrystalReports, etc.)?

11-28-2016 01:21 AM
AndiDerhemi1
New Contributor II

Hello,

I would like to know, if is there a way to access and/or query ArcGIS DataStore tables/data from third party Reporting Software like CrystalReports or other business intelligence software?

We are using ArcGIS DataStore as the managed database for ArcGIS Server, and the server is configured as a hosting server for Portal for ArcGIS. The DataStore has been configured as tilecache, relational and spatiotemporal database!

We can add registered databases (SQL Server) to ArcGIS Server, but the data collected through Survey123 are saved in the DataStore, and we need to access those data with CrystalReports.

Please send any info on how to achieve this.

Thank you!

Andi

0 Kudos
5 Replies
KierenTinning2
New Contributor III

Hi, just wondering if you ever figured out how to do so?

0 Kudos
AndiDerhemi1
New Contributor II

Hi Kieren,

We found a solution the other way around to this issue.

We figured out how to post data through Survey123 to registered databases (SQL Server), so we can access then the data from BI Tools directly from the SQL Server.

Best regards,

Andi

KierenTinning2
New Contributor III

Andi,

We have a few survey's which use a feature service connected to our enterprise Geodatabase (Oracle in our case), and this works well.  Our environment is quite dynamic with different survey's being constructed regularly and the users just publish them to the Datastore.

survey123.arcgis.com has a nifty "Report" tool, the issue is that it is in Beta and does not play well with ArcGIS Enterprise though it works quite nicely with ArcGIS Online.  It is this type of easy reporting, i.e. click on a record (or select it somehow) and then generate a quick report that we are looking to replicate.  We are hoping that come July (the next scheduled release of survey123.arcgis.com) this will come out of beta and will work nicely.

Until then, we are looking for solutions 🙂 which if good enough may become permanent.  At the moment I am considering a Data Interop type job where the user will submit an ID and the system will extract the data and produce a report.  I'll post what I figure out.

Kieren

0 Kudos
DavidForbuss1
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Kieren Tinning,  did you ever find a solution for this?  We're having the same issue.  We'd like to bring the hosted layer table into crystal reports much the same as we do with our sql tables.  ESRI tech support said the only likely solution for us would be to move the data off the hosted layer into our enterprise GDB, then repoint our survey to use the enterprise tables instead.  I'm just apprehensive to do that because our survey is working right now, and it took foreeeeeeever to get it working well.  I'm afraid of breaking the survey and having to start all over again creating/publishing it (not to mention making sure all of the enterprise settings are correct in order for the tables to be used in Survey123 -- hello "Supports ApplyEdits With Global Ids: true"). 

0 Kudos
KierenTinning2
New Contributor III

David,

Sorry about the tardy reply on my behalf.  We never did determine the best way to do this (well we did which is the use the survey123.arcgis.com report tool, but that had significant problems with the system and the reporting is very limited through the Word templates).  We also ended up using a publicly exposed system in order to make this work, the main system was behind a firewall and wouldn't communicate with the external survey123 site.

I think the best bet would be to use an FME / Data Interoperability job to bring the data from the Datastore into a "proper" relational database system for reporting purposes.  The blackbox that is the Datastore has certain benefits, but this unfortunately isn't one of them.

Kieren

0 Kudos