Reverse Geocoding Processor GeoDef

11-09-2016 03:08 AM
RuiMenezes
New Contributor III

Hi everyone

I'm trying to use the Reverse Geocoding Processor to update a field in an output feature class and I have a couple of questions to this community:

1. When I create the process I create a definition (Image 1) but I don't seem to save this new geodefinition anywhere (it doesn't get save in the geodefinitions (Image 2).

2. If I manage to use this geodefinition should I point the processor to the output (Image 3) or should I point it to a Field Mapper (Image 4)?

3. Finally, when doing such an operation I'm I consuming AGOL Credits? I'll be saving this output in a fc temporarily.

I've tried to find help about this but I didn't manage to do it. If there's some help that I can use please let me know.

Thank you very much.

Kind regards,

Rui

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ChrisBeyett
Occasional Contributor

Rui, 

The Reverse Geocoding Processor uses the Esri World Geocoding Service to calculate the nearest address when an incoming GeoEvent contains lat/long data. I'll answer your questions below in further detail:

1. Any GeoEvent Processor that allows for a new GeoEvent Definition to be created does so on the fly. That is, a definition will only be created when GeoEvents are passing through the processor. Simply adding the processor to the configuration does not include the definition you set. 

2. When working with GeoEvent definitions, many times they contain too much information for the project that we apply it to. This question is more of a personal preference depending on what type of information is pertinent to you and the project. I personally like to send the newly created definition to a field mapper first before sending it to any output. This allows me to maintain control of the fields, field types and names. I will note that both scenarios will result in successful transmission of data and that I've seen both in production systems

3.  While using the World Geocoding Service, performing a single geocode operation does not consume service credits. Since the geocoding process is only being called once per geoevent, the processor will not consume credits. Batch Geocoding however will consume credits (if conducted from a spreadsheet or CSV file). I would also mention that I'm not sure if there is a threshold set for the max number of free geocodes per minute you can perform. I've run this processor in front of an input connector that was set to poll every 60 seconds and was not charged any credits, however there is the potential to consume credits if making geocode operations quicker than once every 30 seconds (as I'm unaware of what the threshold could be).

Thanks,

Chris

RuiMenezes
New Contributor III

Hi Chris

Thank you very much for your answer.

Regarding Point 1: I understand now that some GeoEvent definitions won't be available in the GeoEvent Definitions page because they are created on the fly.

Regarding Point 2: what you are suggesting is that the service in Image4 should work? But how do I "tell" GeoEvent to put the address found in the reverse code process in the correct field of the output feature? How do I "call" this virtual GeoEvent definition.

Regarding Point 3: Assuming I'm talking about a 60 vehicles fleet, that sends 1 message/min, I'll have 60 geocode events per hour, and, if my math is correct something like 1152 credits/day. I believe I'll consume some credits with such a deployment.

Thank you very much for your help.

Kind regards,

Rui

0 Kudos