Cannot create certain domain types

11-02-2016 06:58 PM
MaribethPrice
Occasional Contributor

I am creating some domains in a geodatabase. I can create Text coded domains and Long coded domains just fine.

If I try to choose a Short field type (on a new domain!) it keeps defaulting back to Text, even if the Field type is the first thing I try to set in the new domain.

If I choose Float, it defaults to a coded domain (which is impossible and won't work), it will not let me change it from a Coded Domain to a Range Domain.  See video attachment for a demo.

I tried closing Pro and reopening the same project.  I tried closing and restarting with a different project.  The behavior persists.

I tried getting to the Domains window from a different feature class that actually had a Short field in it (the first one did not), but it did not make a difference.

Help!  I'm sick of Pro right now.  And don't even ask my about my earlier experiences today trying to edit a planar topology...

0 Kudos
1 Reply
MaribethPrice
Occasional Contributor

I submitted this to tech support and it was confirmed as two different bugs.  These were attached to Esri Case #01849644 if you want to follow up further.

For those needing to get work done, it works more reliably if you try to create the new domain from the Domains box in the Fields tab. After you create the new field and assign the data type, save the field update (optional but seems to help), then click in the domains box in the field row to create either the coded or ranged domain.  The field type and domain type get copied into new domain.