In ArcMap data view, the textbox disappears after hitting the <ENTER> key.

10-31-2016 11:04 AM
GarySchells
New Contributor III

I'm working in my .mxd document.  I'm trying to add some text to my map in data view.  I can create my text box and type text.  Then when I hit the <ENTER> key the text disappears.  I've tried dragging a selection box around the area where I typed but nothing is selected.  I can add text in the layout view but want the text to stay where I type it on the map when panning around to different scales.  Thanks for any feedback.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

Can you check that your active annotation target is displayed? Check the active annotation target on the Drawing toolbar -> Drawing menu -> Active Annotation Target. Check the displayed annotation layers on Data Frame properties -> Annotation Groups. You can add annotation to an annotation group that isn't displayed, which will make it disappear after you've added it.

edit: I'm not sure why, but even though an undisplayed active annotation target is selected in layout view, the annotation is displayed. Where is layout annotation stored?

GarySchells
New Contributor III

Darren,

Thank you for the quick reply.  In the drawing menu the "Default" Active Annotation target was set.  But in the annotation group tab in Layer Properties nothing was checked.  When I checked "Default" there my text appears.  Thanks again!

ScottMoyer
Occasional Contributor

When hitting <ENTER> in a text box, that makes a new line and won't make the text visible in the layout. The text will show if you select OK or Apply. If you place your text while in the Data View, text will stay where you want it. You may want to set a Reference Scale in the Data Frame Properties.

Scott

0 Kudos
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

I think you must have a different setting than I do. Hitting enter when first adding text simply finishes the text element - it doesn't add a new line. I suppose hitting enter inside the text properties adds a new line, but regardless, the text should still appear.

0 Kudos