Analysing Select_Multiple Answers

10-13-2016 12:54 AM
WengNg
by
New Contributor III

Hi All,

I want to start a discussion on how we should actually analyse the data that we have collected from Survey 123 and produce graphically meaningful results from the data. 

Select_Multiple answers gets stored as a comma separated answer in a single field when the data is pushed to AGOL as a feature layer. 

How do we create statistics for select_multiple answers with current AGOL tools to parse the comma separated values? We can do this from the online Survey 123 dashboard under Analyze but I would ideally want the statistic to be reproduced in AGOL as well.

Thanks,

Weng

Tags (2)
6 Replies
Nicole_Ueberschär
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Weng, 

This is in fact an interesting question. But I don't have an idea at the moment how to accomplish that. 

I have additionally the problem with my data, that I have a related table where the data is not shown at all in survey123 but at least I can look at the table in AGOL... 

0 Kudos
WengNg
by
New Contributor III

Yes, I was hoping that there might be a workflow for us to process the data completely in AGOL without actually post-processing the data.

My current idea of a workflow that might work is downloading the data as a FileGDB and then converting that to an Excel readable table. I try to avoid CSVs because my questions contain commas which in turn gets parsed as an additional column. 

From the Excel table, I will probably then run a script to split out the multiple answers (separated by commas) into a column of its own. This should create a set of data that I can do calculations and statistics on. The data will then need to be published back into AGOL and served up as a feature layer.

This is what I think I need to do but of course it will probably change as further enhancements gets added.

Happy to hear suggestions from other people on how they are processing their data  

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

What is really tricky for us is when the multiple answer choices all have spaces in them.  Survey123 requires you to not have spaces and then uses domains to flip.  But this does not work with multiple answer questions.  So now we have a big blob of text with no spaces and separated by commas.  Post processing is the only idea we have had so far also.

0 Kudos
CarmelConnolly
Esri Regular Contributor

For customer projects I'm working on, we're looking at post processing the data as well - similar to Weng, seperate the values based on commas and then replace _ with spaces. 

Another question would be, how are people handling 'or_other' or 'Other' relevant fields?

I've found with Survey123 that it's awesome you can make a complex survey really easy to use for the end user but then as the data administrator your life is made more complicated!

Carmel

AnnaScholl
Occasional Contributor

Hi @WengNg... You said a long time ago... "We can do this from the online Survey 123 dashboard under Analyze"
How can I do this? I unfortunately have a lot of multiple select questions. 

0 Kudos
HDis
by
New Contributor

Hi @AnnaScholl, Besides seeing the results through the "Analyze" tab of your survey in survey123.arcgis.com/surveys it is also possible to get results through a Dashboard. See example 1 in the following blog: https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/ops-dashboard/announcements/introducing-data-expressions-i...

0 Kudos