Customizing the Description in a Story Map - tabbed map series

Jump to solution
10-11-2016 08:16 AM
DanHoffman1
New Contributor III

I have a Story Map that is a Tabbed Map Series with a series of static maps and a description for each community.  I'm fine for the most part with the Description covering the map (I wanted as much real estate as possible for the map itself), however, sometimes it inconveniently covers an important part of the map as is shown below.  I hoping that there is a way for the user to minimize the Description box....maybe through coding, because I don't see a way to customize it in the Story Map settings.

Thanks,
Dan H

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Hi

In the Settings dialog, make sure the check box shown below in the Layout Options tab is unchecked. It is unchecked by default. This prevents the description area overlapping the extent of your web map (either the default as-saved extent or a custom location that you apply to the map in the Story Map Series Builder). So for example you could zoom your map out a little more so more of the extent you want people to see unobscured is displayed.

If that doesn't work for you another alternative would be to use Story Map Journal, and its side panel option, instead of Story Map Series. With that option, your map (and other content) are never overlapped by the text narrative to the side of it.

Rupert

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Hi

In the Settings dialog, make sure the check box shown below in the Layout Options tab is unchecked. It is unchecked by default. This prevents the description area overlapping the extent of your web map (either the default as-saved extent or a custom location that you apply to the map in the Story Map Series Builder). So for example you could zoom your map out a little more so more of the extent you want people to see unobscured is displayed.

If that doesn't work for you another alternative would be to use Story Map Journal, and its side panel option, instead of Story Map Series. With that option, your map (and other content) are never overlapped by the text narrative to the side of it.

Rupert

0 Kudos