Batch Edit Widget - SubTypes

Jump to solution
10-04-2016 02:14 PM
JamesCrandall
MVP Frequent Contributor

It appears that the Batch Edit Widget does not show the Subtype descriptions in the drop-down for a hosted Feature layer. However, this functions correctly in a regular Web Map with full editing control.

Anyone have experience with this or a workaround?

I can deploy a WAB 2.1 Developer edition if there are some modifications required.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PrevinWong1
Esri Contributor

Hi James,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.  I checked the scenario and you are correct, Batch Attribute Editor shows the subtype code and not the user friendly description.  Unfortunately, any fix will not make the make the current ArcGIS Online version or the Developer Edition coming out soon as the timeframe has passed on those.  It will be worked on with the target to make the next release of ArcGIS Online.

Thanks

View solution in original post

9 Replies
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi James,

This may be related to a known limitation of feature layers in ArcGIS Online. Please review this Esri KnowledgeBase article,

Problem: Unable to view domains for a feature layer enabled with coded value domains in a web map 

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos
JamesCrandall
MVP Frequent Contributor

Hi Derek,

Thanks for the article.  I can confirm that the hosted feature layer we are performing edits to does actually honor the domains in the popup of the batch edit widget!  So that's great!  Additionally, if that same edit is performed within a Web Map, it too shows the domains correctly PLUS it honors the subtype!  Unfortunately, it seems handling of the subtype was possibly an oversight in the development of that widget.

I can bring this WAB down to developer edition to make modifications to the widget if someone can provide guidance!

Thanks for your input!

0 Kudos
JamesCrandall
MVP Frequent Contributor

To follow up...

The simple/regular Edit widget honors the subtype in the drop-down of the popup.

I think we can be confident that this issue is isolated to the Batch Edit Widget!

0 Kudos
PrevinWong1
Esri Contributor

Hi James,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.  I checked the scenario and you are correct, Batch Attribute Editor shows the subtype code and not the user friendly description.  Unfortunately, any fix will not make the make the current ArcGIS Online version or the Developer Edition coming out soon as the timeframe has passed on those.  It will be worked on with the target to make the next release of ArcGIS Online.

Thanks

JamesCrandall
MVP Frequent Contributor

Hi Previn -- thank you for the info!

I am able to work in WAB Developer edition and comfortable applying adjustments to the JavaScript.  Would you know which .js file to look at in order to develop an interim solution?

Also - since the Edit widget seems to function correctly with the subtypes, which .js file for that widget could I review to understand how it's handling that subtype description?

Thanks again for your input!

0 Kudos
PrevinWong1
Esri Contributor

James,

Where you will need to look is at the attribute inspector.  That is the component that the edit widget, AGOL, smart editor, BAE all use.  It is part of the Javascript API code base so you will need to debug and console out the object.  So you will have to see how to modify the the BAE instance of it.  BAE has some code to show manipulation of the inspector.  For example, we changed select boxes to combo boxes so that we can add additional values not found in the dataset.

Using the attribute inspector | ArcGIS API for JavaScript 3.18 

JamesCrandall
MVP Frequent Contributor

Very helpful!  Thank you!

0 Kudos
PrevinWong1
Esri Contributor

Hi James,

With the release of ArcGIS Online yesterday, add some support for subtypes. In BAE, when you click the drop down, you will see the sub type descriptions.  Once you select one, then the textbox will keep the code value.  Not the full solution but atleast a solution that shows the value.  the underying reason is the way dojo combo box works (or lack thereof).

Also, it takes the type code from the rest endpoint, which only support one.  so if you have multiple subtypes only one will show.  Give it a try.

Thanks,

Previn

JacquiSwartz1
New Contributor

Hi, has this issue been resolved? I see this post is from Dec 2016.  I am having the same issue when using the Batch Editor Widget.  Please advise.

0 Kudos