AnsweredAssumed Answered

Maplex labelling problems with Stack Label on labels that intersect clipping mask of data driven page

Question asked by paul.haakma on Sep 27, 2016

Hi all.

Has anyone experienced issues displaying labels using the Maplex labelling engine along with clipping masks on data driven pages?

I have a data driven page with a polygon index layer. The data frame is set to clip to the data driven page extent. I have a point layer with label content that is set to be excluded from the clipping. When I use the Maplex labelling engine, labels that intersect the border of the index polygon display on a single line, rather than stacked.

The label content initially was a set of lines with line breaks ("\n") in them. I have also experimented with inserting a designated splitting character, and using the settings of the Stack Label page with the Maplex labelling options to force a split on this character, but I get the exact same results.

Turning off 'Stack Labels' also has no effect. i.e. leaving line breaks in the label content but turning off the 'Stack Labels' completely *still* displays on a single line.

In the screenshot below, the purple line is the polygon index layer. You can see the two lower labels which are displayed exactly as I want them - i.e. I want ALL labels to look like these. The top label, however, displays on a single line.

The label points are manually placed and therefore I don't want the location of the label to move, and neither do I want the size of the text to change, and I have ticked "Never remove (place overlapping)" because I want all labels to always display.

Nothing I do can seem to make it work with the Maplex labelling engine. Turning OFF Maplex and using the standard label engine works - however I have a need for Maplex within the same mxd for labelling other features.

Currently using ArcMap 10.4.

Any suggestions or comments appreciated - or suggestions on where else to post this question if more appropriate somewhere else.

Thanks,

-Paul

Maplex labelling problem example

Outcomes