Feature Layer Crowdsource Story Map

Jump to solution
09-26-2016 06:55 AM
CristinaDias2
New Contributor

How can I get the Crowdsource Web Map Application to use a different Feature Layer from the default one?

I have exported to FGDB the default one, changed some attributes on ArcGIS, added it back to My Content and created a new Feature Layer out of it.

I have done a few more steps after this, but nothing seems to work… The idea being the Crowdsource Story Map to display the new attributes.

Many thanks.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
StephenSylvia
Esri Regular Contributor

The Beta version of the Story Map Crowdsource will only read the specific fields that the builder creates. If you want to add new fields to a feature service and have them show up in the application, you will have to download the source code of the application and customize it.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
StephenSylvia
Esri Regular Contributor

The Beta version of the Story Map Crowdsource will only read the specific fields that the builder creates. If you want to add new fields to a feature service and have them show up in the application, you will have to download the source code of the application and customize it.

0 Kudos
CristinaDias2
New Contributor

Thank you for your reply.

However, I am not adding new fields but just changing attributes; e.g. Name 'x' to 'y'.

When I try to get the Web Map to use the new Feature Layer, the Crowdsource Story Map will still show 'x'.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
StephenSylvia
Esri Regular Contributor

When the story map crowdsource app builds the web map and adds the feature layer into the map, the feature layer is given a unique ID in the web map JSON. This ID is then saved in the application configuration so the story map knows which layer to work with. If you add a new feature layer to the the current web map that the crowdsource builder created, you will need to manually switch out this layer id.

Also, the crowdsource app is set up to recognize specific field names in the data. If you changed the field names, the app will no longer recognize that data unless you also update that in the application configuration. Because this is still a Beta, we don't have an interactive builder for this. You will need to open up the application configuration through AGO Assistant and manually edit JSON to read the new field names.

By changing the field name in the feature service, you will not change the form input labels in the crowdsource form, this will only change the name in your database. If this is what you're trying to accomplish, I can send you instruction on how to do this. If you are just trying to change the form inputs and placeholder for your users, you can follow these instruction: https://developerscorner.storymaps.arcgis.com/how-to-personalize-your-crowdsource-story-even-more-a9... .

0 Kudos