I need to convert a network buffer polygon (that has gaps) into a solid polygon that extends to the maximum edge?

08-28-2016 06:54 PM
ErikaMartino
New Contributor II

I need to convert a network buffer polygon (that has gaps) into a solid polygon that extends to the maximum edge?

For example, from this...

to this:

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
15 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

One quick way, is to buffer out by an amount necessary to collapse the gaps, dissolving the buffers, then buffer than layer back in by the same amount.  A bit cludgy, but it works and it doesn't appear that you need any other control since you are also joining parts that aren't currently joining

EDIT

Curtis recommended this procedure if you have the appropriate license level

https://community.esri.com/message/562005?commentID=562005#comment-562005 

XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

The alternative would be to use some Python and only write the polygon parts that aren't holes back to the feature. I remember something like the holes being identified with a Point that is None. I guess it should be possible and possible with each license level. 

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Xander, yes None separates the inner and outer part or disjoint parts.  You have to check the ring orientation or extent (or centroid)? of the parts to ensure one is a ring and not a disjoint part though.  Even something as simple as discarding everything after the first duplicate point is reached works in most cases. Can be done with a search cursor, python or numpy, if the known bits are donuts, then it is simpler, because you just take the first part.  I think we covered this before, somewhere.

ErikaMartino
New Contributor II

thank you everyone, I am new to arcmaps so apologies for seemingly odd questions. I will try what you suggested, hopefully it works

0 Kudos
AbdullahAnter
Occasional Contributor III

You can use Eliminate Polygon Part , in (Arc toolbox > Data Management Tools > Generalization > Eliminate Polygon Part ) specify area well and it will fill interior gabs.

XanderBakker

With a side note that the Eliminate Polygon Part tool is only available if you have an Advanced license...

ErikaMartino
New Contributor II

Thank you Xander and everyone who has contributed, what a great community!

0 Kudos
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

If one doesn't have an Advanced License to use the Eliminate Polygon Part geoprocessing tool, there is a workflow posted on Stack Exchange that looks like it would work:

1.  Use Union (Analysis) on the layer, being sure to uncheck the checkbox for "Gaps allowed (optional)".  This will cause new polygons to be created wherever there are gaps.

2.  Run Dissolve (Analysis) on the output of the Union to combine all the polygons.

Source:  How to remove only donut holes from polygons using ArcGIS Desktop? - Geographic Information Systems ... 

Chris Donohue, GISP

XanderBakker

Below a small example of Python in case you have single part features (use the Multipart To Singlepart—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop tool). I digitized some roads and buffered them:

After running the Multipart to Singlepart tool I ended up with two features. When I run the code below (creating a new featureclass, not overwriting the input geometries), I end up with this:

Code used:

def main():
    import arcpy

fc = r'D:\Xander\GeoNet\EliminateHoles\gdb\data.gdb\roads_buf_sp'
    fc_out = r'D:\Xander\GeoNet\EliminateHoles\gdb\data.gdb\result01'
    sr = arcpy.Describe(fc).spatialReference

lst_feats = []
    with arcpy.da.SearchCursor(fc, ('SHAPE@')) as curs:
        for row in curs:
            polygon = row[0]
            polyline = polygon.boundary()
            first_part = polyline.getPart(0) 
            polygon_new = arcpy.Polygon(first_part, sr)
            lst_feats.append(polygon_new)

arcpy.CopyFeatures_management(lst_feats, fc_out)

if __name__ == '__main__':
    main()