Trouble with Spatial Join (Invalid SQL Syntax: near "IN" syntax error)

08-22-2016 02:17 AM
HenryCann2
New Contributor

Firstly to say that I have had no problems doing this in ArcMap...however in Pro something goes wrong,

I am merging a shapefile map with a dataset of 6,000 observations. In one attempt I managed to merge the two but then realised it had only added one observation per spatial unitrather than aggregating them. Since then I have been trying to use the Spatial Join tool. I want to join points to Polygon and aggregate most of the variables taking the Mean. 

So far:

1) Added Basemap

2) Added Shapefile

3) Added xls data

4) Converted xls data to feature

6.....trying Spatial Join. 

For 'Match Option' I have tried both Intersect and Contains. 

Using options Target: My Shapefile. Join Features: My data.

...What Am I NOT doing right or simply NOT DOING AT ALL?

Thank you

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

why do you need a basemap? (dump it if it for visual aesthetics)

shapefile is polygons?

mydata is that points as a feature class?

shapefile and mydata are in the same coordinate system?

0 Kudos
HenryCann2
New Contributor

Thanks Dan - to be honest I thought I had to add a basemap because it wouldn't let me 'add data' (including both shapefile and data) until I had layered a basemap. This really confused me because in Arcgis the first thing you do is add data but this option was greyed out in PRO.

Also just to let you know if it's significant that when I try and specify the maatch conditions(e.g Count, Mean, average) this appears to be where things fall apart. If I leave everything as 'First' it works fine. Perhaps could it be becausde I'm attempting to specify different match conditions for each different variable? I.e Mean for some, First for others....#

Tks

0 Kudos