WFS to Feature Class conversion

Jump to solution
08-13-2016 10:08 AM
AndreaBrugger
New Contributor

I'm trying to find more information about this capability. I'm aware of the arcpy function WFSToFeatureClass_conversion and it looks like the equivalent in the Java SDK is WFSToFeatureClass but I haven't found specifics about the limitations or impacts to availability using these tools/API have.  For example, I assume this essentially imports a WFS feature and its Feature Class from one datasource into my ArcGIS geodatabase, but if the Feature Class name already exists in my DB but the fields are different, how is that handled?  Is it possible to limit which fields in a new FC are created from the WFS feature so that only a subset are created or do I have to create a subtype to do that after the FC is created?

If these questions are already answered somewhere and I've missed them, I'd appreciate a pointer in the right direction.

Thank you

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
seria
by Esri Contributor
Esri Contributor

If the exact name of the feature class already exists in the target workspace (or in the target feature dataset), the output feature class name will be automatically incremented by 1. This means, there is no way to integrate the output feature class with  an existing feature class of the same name -- at least not with this GP tool. The system will automatically create a new output feature class. This is stated on the Help page below:

WFS To Feature Class

http://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/latest/tools/conversion-toolbox/wfs-to-feature-class.htm

Of course, one call this GP tool using ArcPy or ArcObjects.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
seria
by Esri Contributor
Esri Contributor

If the exact name of the feature class already exists in the target workspace (or in the target feature dataset), the output feature class name will be automatically incremented by 1. This means, there is no way to integrate the output feature class with  an existing feature class of the same name -- at least not with this GP tool. The system will automatically create a new output feature class. This is stated on the Help page below:

WFS To Feature Class

http://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/latest/tools/conversion-toolbox/wfs-to-feature-class.htm

Of course, one call this GP tool using ArcPy or ArcObjects.

0 Kudos
AndreaBrugger
New Contributor

Thank you for the clarification.

0 Kudos