Problem Connecting to License Manager, Error Code = -158

08-03-2016 02:14 PM
ScottSirotkin
New Contributor II

One of our users is getting the error message below when starting ArcMap. She can ping the server; we are using version 10.3 of the License Manager.

I have not been able to find anything regarding this error message. Does anyone have an idea of what might be going on? I'd be happy to provide more details, just not sure what else to add since I have no idea what the issue really is. Thanks!

Tags (1)
6 Replies
V_StuartFoote
MVP Frequent Contributor

Scott Sirotkin​, *

From the FlexNet Publisher  Licensing Administrators Guide (v11.13.0)

-158 Trusted storage open failure. Contact your publisher for further information.

Suspect it is a poisoned local FNP Trusted Storage cache on the client.

Check if navigating to the C:\ProgramData\FLEXnet and deleting:

ARCGIS_xxxxxxxx_tsf.data

ARCGIS_xxxxxxxx_tsf.data_backup.001

Then verify in Windows registry

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment  that ARCGIS_LICENSE_FILE or LM_LICENSE_FILE  **if present** are pointed to valid license servers.

Otherwise check the registry for Esri ArcGIS values in

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\ESRI\License10.3 that

LICENSE_SERVER value is pointing to a valid license server.

Then use ArcGIS Administrator -> Desktop -> Availability to see if licenses are available from the server.

If so, close Administrator and launch ArcCatalog. If that is good, open an ArcMap session.

Post back with outcome...

Stuart

NedLevine
New Contributor

The problem is that the FLEXnet service has been turned off.  Hit the Windows key + R and type 'msconfig' (case doesn't matter).  Then, click on Services and ensure that the FLEXnet service is turned on.  On my computer, there were two, one for 32 bits and one for 64 bits.  I turned both of them on.  Click O.K. when you are done.

That should fix the problem.

0 Kudos
ScottSirotkin
New Contributor II

Sorry for the long delay, we just had a chance to try your suggestions. Thanks for taking the time to help.

I deleted the two files in the FLEXNet folder. The first items you referenced in the registry were not present, so I modified the LICENSE_SERVER value to point at the server (prior to that it was set to @Not_Set). Then we restarted the computer.

Unfortunately, we're still seeing the same error. Any further thoughts?

V_StuartFoote
MVP Frequent Contributor

So, any chance the client is ArcGIS for Desktop 10.4 or 10.4.1? 

Or is it also a 10.3 or 10.3.1 instance, matching the license server?

0 Kudos
ScottSirotkin
New Contributor II

Both the Desktop install and License Server are 10.3

0 Kudos
AmnoyAm
Esri Regular Contributor

Scott,

Is the license manager and Desktop on the same machine?  I'm guessing they're on separate machines.  If so, you need to determine where the issue lies, license manager, Desktop or the network in between.  

1.  License Manager - can other machines with ArcMap point to the license manager and use the license?  If yes, you're good.  If no, go start the ArcGIS License Server Administrator > Availability folder.  It should list the Total number of licenses and how many are available.  

2.  ArcGIS Desktop - Are you able to point to any other license manager if possible.  If you can, nothing wrong with ArcMap or the system.  

3.  Network - If you can ping the license manager server, you're at least on the same network.  Check the firewall on the license manager server and the client machine.  If you have the Windows firewall activated on either machine, try disabling it.  Let me know if this solves the problem.  If the firewall is the issue and it needs to be activated, there is a KB to help configure it to work with a firewall.  Let me know if this is the case.  

0 Kudos