Is there a REST API for creating a Feature Class?

08-01-2016 10:39 AM
AndreaBrugger
New Contributor

Hi,

I'm aware of using arcpy to programmatically create feature classes, but are there other options?  I'm interested in a RESTful endpoint specifically.

Thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Andrea,

Using the ArcGIS REST API, you can:

• Consume ready-to-use ArcGIS Online services hosted by Esri
  • Consume services published by you or by other organizations
  • Publish your own web services
  • Create and share items on ArcGIS Online or your own portal
  • Configure and automate parts of the ArcGIS system, such as ArcGIS for Server and Portal for ArcGIS

The closest thing to creating a feature class would be creating a service.

BillDaigle
Occasional Contributor III

If you have access to an ArcGIS server, you could certain host your own custom geoprocessing service to create a feature class using any of the existing arcpy functionality. 

XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

I suppose if you publish a geoprocessing service that takes the necessary parameters and creates the featureclass. But why do you want to create the featureclass using a REST endpoint? Perhaps you can elaborate a little more on why you want this...

0 Kudos
AndreaBrugger
New Contributor

These sound like good ideas. Thank you.  I have a scalable workflow that uses services/capabilities that do not run on the ArcGIS server itself.  I'd like to avoid having to write additional code to bridge the gap from one set of servers running in the cloud to reach back to my windows server just to access an arcpy script that creates feature classes.  If there already exists a REST endpoint (for example) in ArcGIS for creating feature classes, then I have less work to do and can omit putting a service wrapper around arcpy running on Windows just to expose management type capabilities to my workflow. It doesn't have to be REST, but just some kind of API that I can access remotely.  I'll take a look at your suggestions. Thanks

0 Kudos