LAYOUT: Map frame not linked to its properties...?!

Jump to solution
08-01-2016 07:52 AM
HectorBorro1
Occasional Contributor

I have a Layout which I need to set to export several map extents as PDF. (not part of a series)

If I do right-click Zoom to layer > Activate map frame > them zoom and center to my liking > close and back to layout

the properties of the map frame do not change making the PDF a bit more than useles...

I found a workaround by manually adjusting the center and scale, but it is very time consuming and error-prone

Any idea on how to make them link to each other?

PS I'm running ArcGIS pro v1.3 on a windows 7 OS.

Here's a snapshot of what I mean: (greyed out areas for privacy, nothing important there)

What I intend to have on my Layout

PDF output

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JeremyWright
Esri Regular Contributor

OK that sort of makes sense.  CLOSING the activation should save your updated extent back to the layout.

Going back to the layout (red circled link) does not do this - the updated extent won't yet be written back to the layout element.  HOWEVER when you "share" from an activated map frame, you should be exporting the map, not the layout.

I'll bump it up to the layout team for investigation either way.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
JeremyWright
Esri Regular Contributor

Hector,

Looks like you've found a bug. 

When we (graphics engine) export we get all the properties of a mapframe from the mapframe. 

IF that object is not properly updated after closing the activation, then this update won't be shown in the PDF export.

Seems like that's what going on here.

I'll see if I can repro and pass it along to the layoutians so they can create a salesforce number.

Regards,

Jeremy W.

JeremyWright
Esri Regular Contributor

UPDATE: can't repro in my testing here.  Does it only happen for you on this one project/map?

0 Kudos
HectorBorro1
Occasional Contributor

Hi Jeremy Wright​,

It happens to a colleague of mine on the same project as well. so it does seem like a bug. I was going crazy!

Fortunately, I found a workaround that is a bit messy, but does the trick:

Position the map as it were in the layer > Position the mouse cursor in the middle of the map > note down the coordinates of the center > Go to the Layout > Element > Map frame > Properties > Type down the coordinate center. > Adjust position and scale. accordingly to create a beautiful and useful map.

If you need additional information, do drop me a line.

Cheers!

PS. Do I get extra points for finding bugs?

0 Kudos
HectorBorro1
Occasional Contributor

Is there a way to "unbug"it?

I now realize that I was working fine until my project grew too much....  I made about half of my work with no problem whatsoever...

0 Kudos
JeremyWright
Esri Regular Contributor

Can you send me the project (packaged using SHARE->Project package)?

0 Kudos
HectorBorro1
Occasional Contributor

Using the RED button does not work/update the map frame. Clicking on the GREEN ones will work.

I was not aware of them, so I was only using the red link to go back and therefore having nightmares...

I would need to sanitize my data due to confidentiality issues in order to share the package, though....

0 Kudos
JeremyWright
Esri Regular Contributor

OK that sort of makes sense.  CLOSING the activation should save your updated extent back to the layout.

Going back to the layout (red circled link) does not do this - the updated extent won't yet be written back to the layout element.  HOWEVER when you "share" from an activated map frame, you should be exporting the map, not the layout.

I'll bump it up to the layout team for investigation either way.

0 Kudos
HectorBorro1
Occasional Contributor

but the Red circle link was working perfectly (as I intended. closing the Activation and back to the layout)

Thanks for all your help and input

0 Kudos