Can you add a legend to a map within a Cascade story map?

Jump to solution
08-01-2016 05:18 AM
KatyAppleton1
Occasional Contributor II

I love the Cascade template, but the maps I use within it could do with having a visible legend. I can't see this in the options - am I missing something?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Katy,

Thanks for submitting feedback on Cascade. We have not added a legend feature yet but have it on our list to add in a future release.

When creating story maps, we do recommend trying to use very simple maps that don't require a legend or that can be easily explained in the story narrative; however, we of course realize that is not always possible.

For now, the best option is to either take a screenshot of the legend in the map viewer or create your own graphic and add that as an image to your story. This can be done as an in-line image in a sequential section or in the immersive panel if the map is in an immersive section.

Owen

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

4 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Katy,

Thanks for submitting feedback on Cascade. We have not added a legend feature yet but have it on our list to add in a future release.

When creating story maps, we do recommend trying to use very simple maps that don't require a legend or that can be easily explained in the story narrative; however, we of course realize that is not always possible.

For now, the best option is to either take a screenshot of the legend in the map viewer or create your own graphic and add that as an image to your story. This can be done as an in-line image in a sequential section or in the immersive panel if the map is in an immersive section.

Owen

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
KatyAppleton1

Thanks Owen. My map is pretty simple, I would just like to differentiate between three different coloured symbols. A screenshot in the immersive panel is a good workaround for now.

Katy

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Do the maps you are using already have a legend? This link suggests that you prepare the content prior to making the Cascade story map... otherwise I see no reference to making a legend after the fact

Story Map Cascade Tutorial | Story Maps

EDIT

too late... I will leave the link to the tutorial

0 Kudos
KatyAppleton1

Thanks anyway, Dan!

0 Kudos