Creating Popups in Story Map Journal

Jump to solution
07-21-2016 02:08 PM
CelesteDerozier
New Contributor II

Hello, I am trying to add popups to a StoryMap Journal. Instructions say to add the popup to the main stage, but nowhere do I see how to add the content for the popup. I want to create something like this right here: http://storymaps.esri.com/stories/2014/brazil-beyond-the-stadiums/   where you click on a spot and a nice photo or video pops up. You know, a popup.

I have placed pins on the locations, but don't know how to create popups when they are clicked on. It says to "click a feature" but how do I add a feature? Aren't pins features? Help appreciated!

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

HI Celeste

You configure popups for features on your map when you author or edit the map. When you edit the map in ArcGIS, look for the Configure Popup command in the menu for the layer in your map that you want to configure popups for. So configuring popups isn't part of the Story Map Journal builder. It is something you do in the web map(s) that you use in your Story Map Journal.

Rupert

View solution in original post

5 Replies
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

HI Celeste

You configure popups for features on your map when you author or edit the map. When you edit the map in ArcGIS, look for the Configure Popup command in the menu for the layer in your map that you want to configure popups for. So configuring popups isn't part of the Story Map Journal builder. It is something you do in the web map(s) that you use in your Story Map Journal.

Rupert

AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Celeste,

To build on what Rupert said, you have to have a web map (from ArcGIS Online) that has features (not pins). These features will need to have the popups turned on and then you can configure them.

Here are instructions on configuring the popup in an ArcGIS Online web map (not through the Story Map)

Configure pop-ups—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS

Do you have a web map you can share here? Or can you share your story map here?

CelesteDerozier
New Contributor II

Thank you so much. I suspected as much! However, I simply took an online minicourse on this a few months ago, so I'm kind of winging it. I'll try to get back into the map itself and add features.

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Celeste,

You can access the map editor from within the Map Journal builder by clicking Edit next to the web map selector.

Owen

2016-07-22 at 7.21.03 AM.JPG

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Oh yeah! I forgot about that one! (thanks for the reminder and I'm glad that segue feature is there!)

0 Kudos