ArcMap Crashes When Toolbox Is Opened

Jump to solution
07-19-2016 04:12 PM
RandyKreuziger
Occasional Contributor III

I'm must be getting old because I can't find the ArcGIS Desktop area under All Places > GIS.

Anyway, we have a user who's laptop crashes when Toolbox is opened in ArcMap.  The GIS Analyst working with ESRI did a reinstall of ArcGIS Desktop 10.2.2 but the problem remains.  That analyst is out sick but I need ideas on what to try next.

Thanks

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RandyKreuziger

It turns out that both installs were done using a USB thumb drive which resulted in the python folder being installed on that drive instead of the C: drive.  Once the USB drive was removed there was no python.  The easy fix was to un-install, copy the ArcGIS software over to the C: drive, remove the USB drive, and install ArcGIS one last time with no external drives attached.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

There is no Desktop... it is all desktop, except for the web stuff... unless it is done through desktop... then it is blurry

GeoNet Community Structure

BUT since you are using a Geoprocessing tool, the best spot is Geoprocessing.  If it were a python problem with a geoprocessing tool that you created, you could put it in Python and 'share' it to Geoprocessing. etc etc

Now.  If you can log into the machine as you... and load the toolbox without problem, then the issue is with his profile... remove it.  We will start there

0 Kudos
RandyKreuziger

Nope, logging in as a different user didn't help.  It a new month old DELL laptop and the toolbox has never successfully opened.  It took almost 2 minutes before it crashed.   

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

You say 'the toolbox' ... so is this a user toolbox? I assumed you were talking about ArcToolbox in general.  If it a user toolbox, it isn't supported by the version of arcmap, or there is a problem with it in general

0 Kudos
RandyKreuziger

They are just trying to open ArcToolbox to run an esri tool.  They have no toolboxes of their own.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

So now we have it all and it is an older version of ArcMap and it crashes regardless of the user.  And reinstallation didn't work, unless it wasn't completely uninstalled.  So those types of issues can be related to other addins, extensions, tools not being uninstalled completely prior to uninstalling arcmap and a load of other things.

I am going to flag ArcGIS for Desktop Installation support​ since V Stuart Foote​ and crew might be able to nail it with that version of arcmap

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

PS  I moved it to that site, since for some reason, it was placed in ArcGIS PRO the location I moved it to is an open group and not on the list I sent you

0 Kudos
RandyKreuziger

It turns out that both installs were done using a USB thumb drive which resulted in the python folder being installed on that drive instead of the C: drive.  Once the USB drive was removed there was no python.  The easy fix was to un-install, copy the ArcGIS software over to the C: drive, remove the USB drive, and install ArcGIS one last time with no external drives attached.

0 Kudos