Recreating ArcObjects functionality in ArcPro

07-15-2016 03:48 AM
BenjaminSimpson
New Contributor III

Hi all,

I have a load of VB.NET code that is currently utilized in ArcDesktop. The code does a range of jobs, including the use of ArcObjects. My company is contemplating transferring this code from ArcDesktop to ArcPro. I have been tasked with working out whether or not the functionality that the code currently uses from ArcObjects can be re-created in ArcPro. I am confident that, for the most part, this will be achievable. Part of what the VB code currently uses ArcObjects for is visualization and creating graphs. Would anyone be able to clarify that it is possible to re-create the core/majority of ArcObjects functionality in ArcPro and/or any functionality that is not supported can be created with some sort of VB or Python addin? I am particularly interested in any thoughts as to why transferring the VB code to ArcPro would be a bad idea over leaving it in ArcDesktop.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Ben

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
JeremyWright
Esri Regular Contributor

ArcGIS Pro doesn't have ArcObjects as a customization path.  There is a new SDK that's more coarse grained than AO, and new functionality is possible at each release as teams add to the API.  You can also achieve many things using the ArcPy.MP scripting functionality. 

FAQ · Esri/arcgis-pro-sdk Wiki · GitHub

Keep in mind that the ArcGIS Pro SDK is NOT arcobjects, and some programming paradigms are different.  Take a look at the FAQ above and explore the SDK.

0 Kudos