Raster to NetCDF Emerging Hot Spot Analysis

Jump to solution
07-13-2016 09:44 AM
LizGoldman1
New Contributor III

Hi All - I am trying to create a Space Time Cube for use in the Emerging Hot Spot Analysis, but I am starting with raster data. I see that there is a Raster to NetCDF tool in ArcGIS - has anyone tried to use this to cut out the Raster to Point step? I don't see an obvious place to set bin size or sum data in the way that is needed for the Emerging Hot Spot tool.

Has anyone else tried to do this? Have you had any luck?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JenoraD_Acosta
Occasional Contributor

Hi Liz,

The space-time cube is a netCDF file, but it has a very specific format and contains metadata that Emerging Hot Spot Analysis and the other Space Time Pattern Mining tools rely on for further analysis.

At this time, if you want to use rasters to create a space-time cube, you must first convert to points and then do the aggregation into the cube.  The Raster to netCDF tool turns your raster into the correct data format, but it uses the structure of the raster itself and so it won’t be anything like the space-time cube (because no aggregation occurs, which is very important).

I hope this is helpful.  Cutting out the raster to points step is definitely something we have thought about and we are working towards a solution to skip that step in the future.

-Jenora

View solution in original post

1 Reply
JenoraD_Acosta
Occasional Contributor

Hi Liz,

The space-time cube is a netCDF file, but it has a very specific format and contains metadata that Emerging Hot Spot Analysis and the other Space Time Pattern Mining tools rely on for further analysis.

At this time, if you want to use rasters to create a space-time cube, you must first convert to points and then do the aggregation into the cube.  The Raster to netCDF tool turns your raster into the correct data format, but it uses the structure of the raster itself and so it won’t be anything like the space-time cube (because no aggregation occurs, which is very important).

I hope this is helpful.  Cutting out the raster to points step is definitely something we have thought about and we are working towards a solution to skip that step in the future.

-Jenora