Two part problem. Tagging Field Calculator permanently to attribute table, and rerunning Modelbuilder queries when new data added to table?

Jump to solution
07-07-2016 11:05 AM
cartographercartographer
New Contributor

Both these questions are for ArcGIS desktop 10.4:

I have built a nice database tied with a linear shapefile and saved Field Calculator equations to manage the data on the database.   However, I see no way to permanently tag a Field Calculator equation to a field.   How does one do that?

I find if I go to another field and use the Field calculator it totally forgets the Field Calculator equation was inserted in the first field, and I have to manually load it each time I use the Field Calculator to adjust the equation of another field.  I would rather the field remember it is tied to the equations I gave it in the first place!

In modelbuilder, unless I add elements to my model, once I run the model, it won't allow me to rerun it, unless I delete the intermediate data each time.  Is there any way to automate this process?  New data is going to come into my table and I want to be able to rerun the modelbuilder model each time I have to update my table.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

For the Field Calculator issue, I would recommend looking at the Attribute Assistant.  The Attribute Assistant Add-In is an editor extension that uses a series of predefined methods to populate attributes when you create new features or edit existing features in a geodatabase.  For example, you could apply an expression to a particular field.

As for the modelbuilder issue, you should be able to rerun a model.  You may have to click on Model > Run Entire Model.  Also, I would make sure that you have Overwrite Output checked in the Geoprocessing > Geoprocessing Options within ArcMap.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

For the Field Calculator issue, I would recommend looking at the Attribute Assistant.  The Attribute Assistant Add-In is an editor extension that uses a series of predefined methods to populate attributes when you create new features or edit existing features in a geodatabase.  For example, you could apply an expression to a particular field.

As for the modelbuilder issue, you should be able to rerun a model.  You may have to click on Model > Run Entire Model.  Also, I would make sure that you have Overwrite Output checked in the Geoprocessing > Geoprocessing Options within ArcMap.

cartographercartographer
New Contributor

Thank you, that worked.

0 Kudos