Cascade: can't save without a title

Jump to solution
07-06-2016 04:32 AM
CraigMesimer
Esri Contributor

The Cascade story map won't let you save the cover page without a title.  In most cases this is fine, but what if the image or graphic actually provides a better title than covering the picture with text?

Maybe an option to consider.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Craig,

Currently a title is required, but we've heard from a few people that they have an image or video that already has the title they want to use. We're considering some options for the next release, but we have some reservations about this.

It would be helpful if you and others could share their cover media here (screenshots are fine) so we can understand what types of covers you want to use.

Thanks!

Owen

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

a space?

0 Kudos
CraigMesimer
Esri Contributor

Tried this but doesn't seem to work.

0 Kudos
PanagiotisPapadopoulos
Esri Regular Contributor

Select a character with the Header background color.

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Craig,

Currently a title is required, but we've heard from a few people that they have an image or video that already has the title they want to use. We're considering some options for the next release, but we have some reservations about this.

It would be helpful if you and others could share their cover media here (screenshots are fine) so we can understand what types of covers you want to use.

Thanks!

Owen

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
CraigMesimer
Esri Contributor

Thanks Owen.  I'm testing the Cascade template as an alternative to power point and my opening slide really doesn't need a title. 

eeap_pic.jpg

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Really wanted to use this as the cover slide for an informative story map about SoE's  

Now that I know a title is required, I guess I can erase the arrows and treat the title as a subtitle "Scroll down to find out!"

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Craig,

OK, thanks for that example!

My personal opinion is that Map Series -- bulleted layout is still the best type of story map for presentations. Map Journal can also be used, but I'd recommend using the dot navigation to move from section to section rather than scrolling in the side panel. Cascade's full-page scrolling can be disorienting for audiences, so if you do use it maybe stick mostly/exclusively to immersive sections. Please let me know how your tests go and if there are any other suggestions you have to make Cascade more friendly for presentations.

Also, Bernie has a great blog with more tips/suggestions on using story maps for presentations here: Using Story Maps instead of PowerPoint | ArcGIS Blog

Owen

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
CraigMesimer
Esri Contributor

I totally agree with you Owen.  I'm more or less using this presentation to test the Cascade template, not really considering it as a better alternative to the Map Journal.  I've got a similar presentation much further along in the Map Journal that I started after reading Bern's blog. 

I was just thinking that the title text could get in the way of a really good graphic.  Not sure if my graphic qualifies or not as a good graphic, but it gets the point across about not needing more text.  It's a graphic from the EEAP program.  

Thanks again for all the feedback. 

Craig

SteveCole
Frequent Contributor

Speaking of Cascade Story Maps and titles, will there be an option to adjust the font size used for the title? I like my title but it's a little wordy so it's huge on the screen.

0 Kudos