Converting a basemap to shapefile?

06-27-2016 12:41 PM
RickWilson1
New Contributor

Hello,

My name is Rick and I am very new at GIS.  I have a question and really need some input in regards to converting a basemap to shapefile.  How can this be done if it's possible?

Thanks,

Rick W.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Your best option first, is to rule out free data for your area.  The basemap will probably be raster and conversion can go smoothly or not it all depends on whether your basemaps is one data type (like polygons) or a mixture

Raster to Polygon—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop My advice would be to use the basemap as just that, and create new features on top of it and/or incorporate free data sourced elsewhere

0 Kudos
RickWilson1
New Contributor

Dan,

What site do you recommend I get my data that would work?

Rick W.

0 Kudos
MicahBabinski
Occasional Contributor III

Hello Rick,

What basemap are you interested in? Generally basemaps are made up of many different layers which are then tiled and cached at different zoom levels. As far as I know it's not possible to take a cached map service and export individual layers out of it. If there are specific layers of interest that would be a good starting point to finding the data that you need.

Micah

RickWilson1
New Contributor

Thanks for the info Micah

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

I recommend getting local data if possible; city county, or state agencies to begin with.  See what's available for you area of interest/operation.  As someone asked, what is the source of the base map you are viewing and what format is it in?  Can you go to the author and request the data?

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
RickWilson1
New Contributor

Thanks Joe I will try that.

0 Kudos