Collector - Create Dropdown menu from table of addresses?

06-09-2016 09:44 AM
NoahWasserman
New Contributor III

I need to field verify 400+ addresses and collect data at each.  I would like to create a drop down menu of all my addresses as I have them listed in my database so I can maintain IDs and data continuity.  Is there a way to populate a collector drop down list for a large number of options from a table without entering each manually when setting up my geo-database domains?  (e.g. I want to make sure I use "645-647 Main Street" as I have in my database instead of "645 Main Street" as it might appear on the building address plate).

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RandyBurton
MVP Alum

Are you sure you want a dropdown with 400+ choices?  That would probably be difficult to navigate.  If the answer is still yes, you could import your address list into a  table (using Excel to Table, for example), then use the Table to Domain tool to create a domain.  The field would then be set to take its value from the domain list dropdown.  You may want to split the address into parts for several smaller dropdowns: number part, street name, street type, etc.

NoahWasserman
New Contributor III

We have a lot of multiple address buildings that are screwing up our survey/database so I want to make sure the address/building ID is exactly what we have in our database when we field verify.  We will test your recommendation and see if 400+ is too much.  Thank you!

0 Kudos
RandyBurton
MVP Alum

Once you get your addresses into a domain, you may want to use the Sort Domain tool to better organize the domain.  You can sort by codes or by descriptions.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

We do periodic inspections at our facilities. I ended up creating a relationship between our facilities feature and our inspections feature. So when I look up my facility I can see all the inspections done for the facility. This would work well for you since you since you already have a table with all the addresses and IDs. Some more information on relationships. https://blogs.esri.com/esri/arcgis/2015/02/18/related-tables-exploring-new-ways-to-use-collector-for...

But you could also manually do a domain setup. Here's a good writeup from ESRI for domains..

Prepare your data in ArcGIS for Desktop—Collector for ArcGIS | ArcGIS

Good luck!

0 Kudos