Remove duplicate vertices from network features?

06-07-2016 05:44 AM
MartinAmeskamp
Occasional Contributor II

Hi, we have a geometric network where a large number (too many for interactive editing) of complex edges have duplicate vertices (these are really duplicate, i.e. two subsequent vertices have excatly the same coordinates).

How can we get rid of these duplicate vertices, preferrably without touching the geometric network?

Versions and platforms: This is ArcGIS 10.2.1 on Oracle 11.2.0.4, using ST_GEOMETRY.

Thanks very much, Martin

PS It looks like the duplicate vertices where generated by data migration; they seem occur mainly in places where a straight line segment is followed by a circular arc segment.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
WesMiller
Regular Contributor III

Repair Geometry—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

Valid inputs are shapefiles, personal, and file geodatabase feature classes

Caution:

This tool modifies the input data. See Tools with no outputs for more information and strategies to avoid undesired data changes.

MartinAmeskamp

Hi Wes, thanks for pointing out this command. We had looked at it, but Repair Geometry doesn't work on SDEs, since it assumes that features are checked or repair when being inserted into the SDE - somehow the migration process bypassed that step.

We've settled on writing a little .NET addin that cycles through the affected features and calls ITopologicalOperator.Simplify for each shape. That seems to take care of the problem and doesn't hurt the geometric network.

Martin

0 Kudos
MartinAmeskamp

Wrong. It does hurt the geometric network. We've contacted tech support about this...

Martin

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Martin... I am curious.  I searched on this topic for a while and came to the conclusion that SDE is a good repository if one needs it, but trying to 'fix' something is often difficult.  I wonder why they just don't suggest, fix it outside and use that result.  Is this a common occurence for other simple geoprocessing issues or is it unique to this situation?

0 Kudos
MartinAmeskamp

Hi, here's an update: Tech support replied on our network problems: That was fairly easy, we had done the simplify on the original shape rather than getting a clone of the shape, simplifying that and then assigning it to the feature and storing it. Switching to that second method seems to fix the network problem. Also, we find that some features are split inti multipart features by the simplify, which the network doesn't like, but we can skip and log those features and handle them by hand.

As to the other suggestions: The duplicate features are part of a geometric network in a large production geodatabase, and while extracting a large number of network features and the reloading them might be possible in theory, it's not something I'd really like to try.

And no, having this many features with duplicate vertices is not a common occurrence but rather very specific to one customer situation. We've started cheking on other databases and generally find a handful of features with "real" duplicate vertices (rather than vertices that are very close) in many databases, but these tend to be a few and can be fixed by hand, if one so desires.

Martin

0 Kudos
WesMiller
Regular Contributor III

Could you load your data into a file geodatabase run repair geometry then reload the repaired data back into server then recreate your geometric network?

0 Kudos