Select to view content in your preferred language

Las-data as input to Bathymetry extension?

05-18-2016 11:45 PM
Anne_VendeløkkeOlsen
Deactivated User

Dear Forum.

Im new to raster and bathymetries.

What I can read I am able to register All ArcGIS Supported Raster datasets and point featureclasses with the Bathymetry extension.

However I have a lot of XYZ-data and would like to keep the details of the data and don't convert the data in to a point featureclass (los of performance and use of space) or a raster (los of flexibility?).

It seems to me that the LAS-format is quite flexible and as such I would like to convert my data in to this format. However LAS-data cannot be registered with the Bathymetry extension.

Is this misunderstood use of the Bathymetry extension or of the xyz-data.

What I would like to accomplish (probably with the Bathymetry extension) is to save my bathymetry data in a flexible, detailed format and be able to easily find and use those data.

Regards Anne.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Adding bathymetry data to the BIS geodatabase—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

indicates the limits

Allowable point formats include enterprise or file geodatabase point feature classes. At this time, this does not include multipoint data

Perhaps the additional constraints imposed by las data currently makes it not a viable option

What is a LAS dataset?—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

An potential candidate for ArcGIS Ideas if there was sufficient demand

0 Kudos
Anne_VendeløkkeOlsen
Deactivated User

Im trying to figure out how much data manipulation I need in order to add a bathymetry to the Bathymetry extension.

It tells me that I will save a lot of storage and that it is top efficient.

However I receive a vast amount of xyz-data and hoped that the extension could give me an overview of the data. If I need to do a lot of data conversion, and maybe splitting data up in order to be most efficient, create rasters and mosaics etc in order to add my data to the extension then I guess I could just as well order my e.g. las datasets in a structured way and almost get the same result...

0 Kudos