Rest query performance benchmark

12-03-2010 12:28 AM
Ganael_Jatteau
New Contributor II
Hello,

I searched on Google but couldn't manage to find any benchmark showing the performance of the REST API when querying a layer (I'm not interested by exportMap).

Did Esri published any document showing the time response and scalability of the query operation on Arcgis 10? I know it depends on many parameters (data storage solution, hardware, network...), but it would be nice to have some examples.

Thanks in advance
0 Kudos
1 Reply
JohnFletcher
New Contributor III
galigeo,

The only document that comes to mind for me is Esri's whitepaper for creating a web mapping application for municipal/local government:

http://www.esri.com/library/whitepapers/pdfs/creating-arcgisserver-web-mapping.pdf

Starting on page 21 is an interesting comparison of a Geoprocessing task workflow with a REST query-based workflow.  There is some throughput information that may be useful - the hardware, the query, and the data are all quite well defined so it works as sort of a benchmark.

This is for ArcGIS Server 9.3.1, not for 10.  I don't know what performance difference (if any) there is between those two versions with respect to querying the REST endpoint unfortunately.
0 Kudos