Can tile creation be prevented for a feature service? I create a service definition using Python. When published, it wants to create tiles. Is this default behavior and can it be prevented?

05-12-2016 02:20 PM
LisaNelson
New Contributor II

I've tried editing the service definition draft but that doesn't seem to work.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
LisaNelson
New Contributor II

Hello - I should have mentioned that I'm not creating (sharing) manually. Instead, I use arcpy.mapping.CreateMapSDDraft() and arcpy.StageService_server() to create the *.sd file. Then, I add it to our AGOL using REST (/addItem).  So, it seems like the default config in the *.sd file is to force tiling. 

Example 7 here​ indicates that a *.sddraft file can be edited.  Any idea if tiling can be turned off via this route? 

I'm pursing this because we have ~240 services that I need to publish and want to automate that.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

a small but useful detail, for the server end, have you explored the salient functions in arcpy from the previous examples like Manage Map Server Cache Tiles—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

You might want to share this thread to another place in the developer community as well since it might get a better audience

0 Kudos
LisaNelson
New Contributor II

Thanks  for the suggestion.

0 Kudos