Humble noob trying to get the hang of Arcmap

05-05-2016 02:22 PM
MarouaneAttioui
New Contributor

So I was intrigued by GIS and I asked a professor for a subscription that he was happy to grant me. I am hoping that I might incorporate it into my healthcare major. He also gave me a list of problems to help me get better at it. I know the basics so far, but I found a problem in the worksheet that seems really cool. So for the problem I am going to be using a geodatabase called 'Austin geodatabase'. The problem is essentially asking I make a table showing the largest 15 districts with the district name, the population, the miles of road, and the number of officers. and to make a graduated color map of population and lables for the staff numbers. The rules are that in every ppolice district I would be one police officer for every 100o people and one for every 25 miles. This seems like a very complicated problem compared to the ones I have been practicing (which have been two steps at most), but extremely intriguing as I am sure that if I use this program in my field this type of problem solving would be very useful. If anyone has any pointers on how to do this please let me know. Thanks!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Others will weigh in with specific help...I will guide you to the help

If you are using ArcMap look to the left, ArcGIS Pro... to the right

Something else? let us know

Documentation | ArcGIS for Desktop

0 Kudos
MarouaneAttioui
New Contributor

Hi I don't exactly understand what you mean by look to the left

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

in the link... left in the link

0 Kudos
MarouaneAttioui
New Contributor

What link? to the left of what?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I think you are looking at your links in the email section of geonet... sometimes, you can see links and attachments If you click on the title of your thread outside of your notifications, you should see a link like this

Documentation | ArcGIS for Desktop

http  desktop arcgis.com/en/documentation

with the html tagsNow... dont look to see the link here...go to your thread title and click it

0 Kudos
MarouaneAttioui
New Contributor

I still don't get what your saying. I need pointers with the question I presented. Are you able to see the question?

0 Kudos