Export to PDF Embed Fonts issue

12-01-2010 10:07 AM
RyanKelley
New Contributor II
The embed fonts option doesn't seem to be working for me.  I know it's the default already, but just to be sure, I added embed_fonts="True". I also aded convert_markers to True.

Our font is available in Arc10, and works fine in all cases, but when I run this process using ArcGIS Server to call the script, the font does not come through on the PDF, just letters rather than symbols.

MAP.ExportToPDF(MyMXD, MyPDF, convert_markers="True", embed_fonts="True")

Any ideas?

Ryan
0 Kudos
8 Replies
JasonScheirer
Occasional Contributor III
Try leaving out the quotes:

MAP.ExportToPDF(MyMXD, MyPDF, convert_markers=True, embed_fonts=True)
0 Kudos
RyanKelley
New Contributor II
Thanks Jason, but no love. Any other thoughts?

ryan
0 Kudos
JeffBarrette
Esri Regular Contributor
Hello Ryan,

I tried to reproduce this using 10.0 SP1 and could not.  Here are my steps.

Create a layout with multiple text strings.
Modify the font for each string.  A few were core fonts, the remaining were Esri fonts.
I exported to PDF using the UI two times: one with embeded fonts and the other with convert markers and embeded fonts.
I did the same using arcpy.mapping.
I had someone in our office (with no Esri software) open the PDFs and they saw them just fine.

Is there a particular font that is failing for you?

Thanks,
Jeff
0 Kudos
RyanKelley
New Contributor II
Hi Jeff,

I probably should have been a little more clear when describing the issue... the "font" is from a character marker font we have installed in Arc10. We have an "Oregon Rec" font with various symbols for camping, skiing, etc.

Thanks,
ryan
0 Kudos
JeffBarrette
Esri Regular Contributor
Ryan,

Can you send me the font (jbarrette@esri.com).  I'll try the same steps with your font.  It there any reason your font would behave differenently from the Esri fonts?

Thanks,
Jeff
0 Kudos
JeffBarrette
Esri Regular Contributor
Ryan,

Thanks for sending me your data.  I was able to reproduce the problem with your specific font.  I also noticed that this also occurs when exporting from the User Interface, in other words, it is not specific to arcpy.mapping.ExportToPDF.

Could you please open an incident with Technical Support so this issue can be further investigated.

Thanks,
Jeff
0 Kudos
JeffBarrette
Esri Regular Contributor
Ryan,

After closer examination, we discovered that your font does NOT allow fonts to be embeded.

Under Names and Copyright --> Embedding, you have it set to "Embedding of this font is not allowed"

I hope this helps with your confusion,
Jeff
0 Kudos
JulieWartell
New Contributor
When I export my map to PDF, everything is beautiful EXCEPT the symbols (which are pictures) do not show in the legend.  I've tried embedding fonts and not, and all of the other check boxes and not.  Any thoughts?
0 Kudos