Configuring required field

04-21-2016 02:28 PM
JaromHlebasko
Occasional Contributor III

I've come across a dilemma in which I am needing help. I am wanting a text field to be required after a relevant expression has been assigned. For instance, I am wanting the user to choose a 'yes' or 'no' value asking whether or not they want to apply an e-mail address to the survey. If the user chooses 'yes', the e-mail address text field is made visible and is required. If the user chooses 'no', an input box is simply disregarded (the way a relevant expression should work).

The problem I'm having is that if the user chooses 'no' and tries to submit the survey, a Required message appears (which I assigned in the appropriate column) asking the user to put in a valid e-mail address even though the option to type in an email address is not present because of the relevant expression. Is it possible to have a required text field only be required if the relevant expression holds true?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
MarikaVertzonis
Esri Regular Contributor

The behavior you describe is a work in progress.

In Survey123 version 1.1, for a required field that has a relevant expression applied, the required field should be enforced if the question is relevant, and not enforced if the question is not relevant.

In the pending Survey123 version 1.4, this will be extended to where the relevant expression is applied to a group (ie: currently it wont work if the expression is applied to a group).