How to use Kriging method for specific configuration of data for open channels?

04-19-2016 11:48 PM
arsalanmostaani
New Contributor

I try to model the velocity of water flow in an open channel.I collected My data on the cross section of the channel and depicted as a point data (x,y are the coordinates of each point in the plane and z value is the respective velocity of water flow at that location).  When I visualized my data in arcgis, apparently I can see 4 clusters of points in my data. one of them is horizontal, two of them are vertical and there is one cluster of points in the center of my data cloud. (please find the configuration of my data here: http://i64.tinypic.com/2vt41dv.jpg). So, I would like to know, if I can use Kriging Interpolation method for this configuration of data in order to estimate the unknown velocity values between the known points??  Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

Why don't you just post the picture of your data here?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

There is nothing to stop you from using any interpolator to fill in the intervening space.  Are you interested in any particular model? There are quite a few.  The nice thing about the methodology is that you can examine the appropriateness of any particular model for a given data type, pattern... This link is for the top of the online help tree.  It might be best if you solicited opinions on your interpretation of a particular effort, since acceptance of any particular one will ultimately be up to you.

Understanding ordinary kriging—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

0 Kudos
SteveLynch
Esri Regular Contributor
0 Kudos