graduated symbols not showing up

04-08-2016 07:03 AM
JohnBrand
New Contributor III

I have a shapefile with lots of points in it.  I perform a table join and only keep matching records.  I try to use graduated symbols based on a double field in the joined table and the symbols disappear from the map.  Anybody else have this problem?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

John,

Your post is lacking many details.

1. What ArcGIS Product or API are you talking about?
  2. What Version of ArcGIS?
  3. Anything else you can provide to give us some context of your question.
JohnBrand
New Contributor III

Sorry.

Using Desktop 10.1 SP1

I'm joining an Excel 2010 table to my shapefile and only keeping matching records.  This works fine and the appropriate number of points show up in the map.

I go into symbology, set up graduated symbols, everything looks great on the preview screen.  I hit apply/ok and the points disappear from my map.  The the identify tool recognizes them but there is no symbol on the map.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

by the preview screen...do you mean the screen as shown in the bottom left of the two bottom images in this link?

Using graduated symbols—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

If so, that is a preview of what things would look like if the data were of the correct type and the conditions for a match were correct.  Then when you hit Apply etc, your map would be as advertised.  Somewhere in your description, this obviously didn't happen, so could you elaborate on the data type etc

DebraLoch
New Contributor

I'm having the same problem!  If I leave the dots as simple features or even use graduated color symbology, everything is fine.  As soon as I select graduated symbols, everything disappears.Graduated symbol function makes my features disappear

0 Kudos
RubenConner
New Contributor

Hello all, 

I've found a solution to this problem. Apparently, graduated colors cannot be used with variables that are only temporarily joined (a join is temporary, by default). So in order to continue, you need to first right click on your layer in the Contents panel and then go to Data > Export Features. Save it somewhere. You should now be able to select your layer and then apply graduated colors! 

MathewWallach1
New Contributor

Thank you, this solution works perfectly!

0 Kudos
LaurenEst
New Contributor

You are a lifesaver - dare I say chartthrob.  Thank you, Conner!

0 Kudos
AngeDianeUWASE
New Contributor II

Thank you, i was having the same problem as well.

0 Kudos
QishuiZHOU
New Contributor

You just save my life!!!